Saturday, February 2, 2008

andrew ongama

This month is blog month for Compassion International. They are asking sponsors to write about their experiences. This is an incredible ministry that is working to release children from poverty in Jesus' name. I am privileged to take part in it and will probably write a little more about it, but today I want to introduce you to a really cool kid.

Meet Andrew Ongama Mahagwa. He is the child from Kenya who I sponsor(sorry he's a picture of a picture and not so clear...) This picture is a little old and apparently he wasn't happy to take it :) He is 7 years old now and he does very well in school. At the end of last year, he was 1st or 2nd in his class in every subject. He's an overachiever. No wonder I like the kid :) I guess it's good that he's smart because he wants to be a professor when he grows up. I think that's pretty cool.

He also happens to be one heck of an artist. I get pictures every time he writes me a letter. I can't tell if he is trying to play a game with me, but he always draws a picture and then writes three choices (in ENGLISH...see...smart) for what that picture might be. Maybe he's getting an early start on that teaching gig. Usually there is a theme to the pictures, but always present is the "man" picture. This man is always holding a gun. I used to feel sorry for Andrew because this seemed strange and very sad to me. Then I went to Africa and saw at least one reason that he draws those pictures. Very few people trust the police, and for good reason. Government on the whole there tends to be corrupt and available for sale to the highest bidder. For this reason, private security companies are hired to guard everything. Houses, banks, restaurants, hotels, etc. The guards almost always carry a big gun. When I was in Mozambique last year, it took a while to get used to this, but it eventually became no different than when we see policemen walking around. The guards at our hotel had large guns, but I never felt afraid of them. They also proved to me just how handy a machete can be...but that's another story for another blog.

I took what I knew and added it to the idea that Kenya really has been one of the safest places in Africa to feel ok about the fact that Andrew's man always carries a gun. I am sure it is because it is almost too much for me to think about what actually living where he lives must be like.

But now I can't avoid thinking about it. Andrew no longer lives in one of the safest places in Africa. He lives in a place that is scary and where violence is spreading rapidly and where the men with guns are not the good guys. I am helpless to do anything for him now but pray. He is being raised by his aunt (along with 4 other children) so I pray mostly for her. I cannot begin to imagine how hopeless she must feel. I pray that she knows the Lord and that he is near to her.

So I just wanted to introduce you guys to this little boy and urge you to pray for Kenya (and Andrew specifically). Sometimes it helps to put things into perspective when you have an individual face to put on it.

Compassion has a total of 59 centers in Kenya and 39 of them have been affected. Because most of the violence has been occuring in the poorest areas and slums, many children and families who are supported by Compassion have been displaced. Andrew's center is not yet on the list of those that have been affected, but if this continues, it is likely that it will be soon. The following is a list of specific prayer requests listed on Compassion's website. Please pray.

Pray that mediation efforts to resolve the post-election violence bear fruit and break the political stalemate in the government.
Pray that the Church will rise up to her prophetic role and address the conflict in the country.
Pray that God provides for the needs of the people displayed by the political violence, and that He guards the hearts and minds of the children affected by and witnessing the violence.
Pray that peace return to the country and the economy recover quickly.
Pray for the widows and orphans of the violence.
Pray for the health and well-being of all Kenyans. The availability of medical care has been affected by the fighting
Pray that children may soon be able to return to school and resume normal lives.

1 comment:

Chris Giovagnoni said...

Thanks for introducing me to Andrew. It was a pleasure to meet him. :-)

BTW - Compassion has nearly 250 child development center in Kenya. It's the country Compassion has the fifth biggest presence in, from a number of sponsors perspective.